This page is for voluntary groups who are responding the Covid19 pandemic. Community Action Suffolk supports organisations in Suffolk’s Voluntary, Community and Social Enterprise (VCSE) sector, to enable them to operate more effectively. During these unprecedented times it is more important than ever that we respond to your needs and help you to help your community.
We are continuously updating useful information and guides to support you and your voluntary group. It is important that while you provide a community response, you also safeguard yourself, volunteers and vulnerable people in your community.
***Volunteering during Strict Measures about leaving the house ‘Lock down’***
Unless Government guidance changes, volunteers can still help out those in their community. Please exercise sensible action over this. Limit shopping trips and deliveries as much as you can. Perhaps collate lists and only do the shopping once or twice a day – rather than volunteers going out repeatedly on shopping errands.
Downloads & Resources
CAS Guidance & Resources
CAS has produced the following 2 guides to safe volunteering during the pandemic – the first is a simple 1 page guide for volunteers, the second a more comprehensive guide for community response group leaders:
E-learning for volunteers:
Community Action Suffolk promote that volunteers are able to access resources to help them in their role. We have found this free e-learning that has a selection of modules that will help you as a volunteer responding to covid-19. We would recommend that you complete the modules listed below, but you may choose to do more.
- Your Role and Responsibilities
- Communication Skills
- Data Security Awareness
- Conflict Resolution
- Equality, Diversity and Human Rights
- Safeguarding Adults
- Safeguarding Children
- Mental Health Awareness
- Health and Safety
Peer Support Facebook group
We have set up a closed Facebook group especially for the leaders of the new Covid-19 Community Response Groups – some of you might be brand new to the world of volunteering!
The Facebook is a forum for you to share your challenges and solutions and learn from each other across the county. We are all in this together and it is important that while so many self-isolating, you don’t feel isolated yourself. The groups will be moderated by Community Action Staff who can input their experience and signpost where necessary.
The discussions on this Facebook group will be important, as it will help us to see what the common challenges are. Please click on the button below and answer the quick questions to join.
Examples from other Community Groups
From Melton Check In and Chat:
Check In And Chat – Volunteer Information Sheet
- New video! ‘If you see something, say something’. A short safeguarding awareness video for volunteers. Created by London Borough of Waltham Forest
A range of free safeguarding documents, training and guides from Community Action Suffolk are also available on the Safeguarding page of the CAS website. Click here or scroll to the bottom of this page for the Resources
Useful links from others:
|The telephone number for those in genuine need of help is freephone 0800 876 6926 and will be staffed from 9am to 5pm, seven days a week|
Suffolk County Council – Covid-19 page
BT Digital support & resources
Free community phone lines
DBS changes information
ICO advice for Community Groups on Data Protection
Suffolk Association of Local Councils (SALC) information
ACRE information for Village Halls
Toolkit for UK Muslim Communities during Covid-19
Corona Virus Government Guidance – How to help Safely
Suffolk Wellbeing Service (SWS) Corona Virus Specific Resources
Changes for motor insurance cover for key workers:
- Safeguarding Policy and Procedure march 20 short (1 page plus simple to follow flowchart)
- Keeping safe & sound card Code of conduct COVID 19 response
- Keeping Safe & Sound Factsheet1: What to do if you are worried someoneone is being abused
- Keeping Safe & Sound Factsheet 2 Duty of Care
- Keeping Safe & Sound Factsheet 3 Boundaries and safety for community volunteers
- Keeping Safe and sound self-isolating
- March 20 Top safeguarding basic safeguarding code tips presentation
- More resources for community groups are also available on the CAS website COVID-19 Communities
- Updates from external organisations
- 25 March 20: safeguarding guidance from the Charity Commission
- 26 March 20: DBS and safeguarding factsheets: Organising a community volunteer group and Individuals wanting to assist those in their local community
- Support for children/ young people
Corona virus advice and support page for children and young people: The Source
- Youth Work Support: Keep Calm Stay Connected Be Safe. This website is designed to bring together relevant advice, guidance, support and tools for youth workers during the COVID 19 pandemic.
- 24 March 20 Important message from Suffolk Police around COVID-19 SCAMS
- 25 March 20 Letter from Trading Standards about Corona Virus (COVID-19) Scams awareness. How to keep safe from scams.
- 25 March ‘Wash your hands of Corona Virus scams’ postcard from Trading Standards
- 26 March 20: Trading Standards, latest scams alerts