The CAS Quality Standard is an award which your organisation can achieve to demonstrate its effectiveness and efficiency.
The CAS Quality Standard is endorsed and supported by Suffolk County Council and the Suffolk Local Safeguarding Children Board and Suffolk Safeguarding Adults Board. It is externally assessed by the Quality Standards Awards Panel comprised of Community Action Suffolk, Suffolk County Council Commissioning, Suffolk Local Safeguarding Children Board and the Suffolk Safeguarding Adults Board. It was developed in 2005 by VCSE sector organisations, for VCSE sector organisations.
The CAS Quality Standard means a commitment to quality. It can evidence that your organisation has the structure, policies and procedures in place to be a safe, well run provider of services.
It covers four crucial organisational sections:
- Health, safety and welfare
- Staff recruitment and development
- Organisation Management
Each of the four sections can be completed independently and assessment feedback is provided on each section as completed (rather than at the end of the whole process).
Organisations have the choice to complete either:
CAS Quality Standard starting from £150 (click here for a sample)
- CAS Quality Standard is now an online process and a ‘virtual’ portfolio is completed
- Each of the four sections can be completed independently
- Assessment feedback is provided on each section as completed (rather than at the end of the whole process)
To support organisations with completing the CAS Quality Standard, organisations get access to:
- a comprehensive standards framework
- a range of example policies and procedures
- example forms
- helpful links
- support from a Quality Standards Support Worker to guide you through the process
- external verification
- secure online storage for evidence
- children and young people’s organisation undertake the Suffolk Youth Charter
- a discount on Community Action Suffolk Training on completion (conditions apply)
Why do a Quality Standard?
- Improve the quality, safety and consistency of services
- Improve customer and ‘stakeholders’ confidence that the organisation is ‘safe and well run’
- Provide evidence to funders that your organisation is committed to robust quality assurance, continuous improvement and development
- Enable organisations to review and benchmark current practice
- Provide a robust framework to follow if setting up systems/services
- Help in readiness to meet other regulatory frameworks requirements
The CAS Quality Standard has been used by over 160 organisations, to date. Organisations have reported the Quality Standard has:
- improved their confidence, resilience and efficiency through the implementation of robust policies and procedures.
- engaged staff across the organisation to be a part of embedding quality and development
“Completing the CAS Quality Standard has been a thorough but rewarding process. It has helped us to ensure that we are up to date with the organisation of our charity and policies and it is a good way to show to our supporters and donors that we take a professional and safe approach to our work with children and young people. The support from the CAS team during the process was excellent.”Simon Scott, Director, Christian Youth Ministries.
Who is the CAS Quality Standard for?
It is suitable for all voluntary, community and social enterprise (VCSE) sector organisations who are members of Community Action Suffolk.
Membership of Community Action Suffolk is free and you can sign up online here.
How long does the CAS Quality Standard take to complete?
The process can take a varying amount of time depending on an organisations circumstances but normally takes between three and twelve months to complete. For a sample of the framework click here, for a “What’s involved?” guide, click here.
It is valid for three years and groups can renew by engaging with the process again.
How much does the CAS Quality Standard cost?
£150 VCSE sector organisations (with income less than £100,000)
£275 VCSE sector organisations (with income more than £100,000)
£500 non VCSE sector
Click here for package prices and details.
What do I do next?
To register your interest in either the CAS Quality Standard or the Organisation Self-assessment, complete our online registration form here.
Please remember to join the Community Action Suffolk Network, if you have not already done so. The Community Action Suffolk Network is free and you can sign up online here.