Volunteering doesn’t require a big commitment, and often it’s the little things which mean the most – maybe just calling in on an elderly neighbour, or giving someone a lift.
We’d like to say a big thank you to all Suffolk’s volunteers, and we think that some of these facts and figures might impress you!
Volunteering in the UK
- 23 million people volunteer across the UK in their communities (NCVO)
- In 2012-13 volunteering output contributed an estimated £23.9billion to the UK economy (UK Civil Society Almanac)
- There are over 160,000 voluntary organisations in England, many of whom rely on volunteers (UK Civil Society Almanac)
- 41% of people in the UK volunteer formally at least once a year and 27% do so at least once a month (Community Life Survey 2013-14)
Volunteering in Suffolk
- In a recent CAS survey, 107 organisations responded telling us they have 7104 volunteers
- We average over 100 individual applications for volunteering vacancies each month
- There are currently over 400 volunteering opportunities in Suffolk
- CAS currently works with over 400 Suffolk organisations
- At the Suffolk Show, over 200 people told us how they already volunteer in their community:
- I cook meals for my neighbour
- I help keep the beach clean
- I’m an usher at the theatre
- I’m on my school’s eco-council
Why do people volunteer?
- Meet new people
- Give something back
- Make a difference
- Gain new skills
- Be part of a team
- Enhance CV
- Help others less fortunate
Let us introduce you to some amazing people!
Volunteers Week 2015: Meet Michael, who makes our favourite events happen!
“Nothing can stop me volunteering now I have the bug!”
Volunteers Week 2015: Meet Peter, our very own Volunteering Olympian!
“I want to keep my brain stimulated and enjoy the opportunity to engage with different people”
Volunteers Week 2015: Meet Sheila, our latest volunteer driver, who loves to make a difference!
“I love meeting all the passengers and helping them get out and about.”